Region-News-Team-Black-Logo

Gas Leak in Vacant South Haven Home Repaired

Share this post

What was described as a 'volatile gas situation' at the northeast corner of the intersection of McCool Road and Midway Drive in South Haven around 11-o'clock this morning has been resolved safely.  Porter County Sheriffs Police Public Information Officer Sgt. Larry LaFlower says Northern Indiana Public Service Company was able to make entry into the house in the 700 block of McCool Drive and they discovered that the pipes had burst inside, which caused  the floor and ceiling to give way and collapse because of all the water damage, and then the roof and flooring hit the gas valve and line for the dryer inside the house, which caused the gas leak.  Sgt. LaFlower says the gas leak was discovered when a NIPSCO crew arrived to do an electric shut-off. It's not known how long ago the damage actually happened inside the house. Sheriffs Police, Portage Police, South Haven Fire and NIPSCO were among those responding. Authorities also say at another house next door, no one was home. Representatives from Portage Township Schools were also on scene. South Haven Elementary is located behind and to the east of the house. Police say everyone at the school was moved to the far east side of the building earlier as a precaution.


Meet-The-Team

Laura-WZVN Scott-WZVN Brent-WZVN
LAURA WALUSZKO
Region News Team
SCOTT ROSENBERG
Region News Team
BRENT BROWN
Region News Team
Jay-WZVN Karl-WZVN Annie-WZVN
JAY STEVENS
Region News Team
KARL BERNER
Region News Team
ANNIE FOX
Region News Team

Recent-Newscast

Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE