Michigan City Police are investigating two reported sexual assaults that have occurred in the within the last week. The first incident occurred Tuesday night at 11:30, in the area of Lafayette Street and Baker Avenue, and the suspects are two black males, the first of which is described as about five-feet ten-inches tall, with short braids, a light skin tone, and in his late twenties to early thirties. The second suspects is described as about five-feet eight-inches tall, with a darker skin tone.
The second incident is said to have occurred Wednesday night, at about 11:45, near Wabash and 11th Street, but police say, at this time, the suspect's description is not being released. Anyone with information regarding these incidents are asked to contact the Michigan City crime tip hotline at (219) 873-1488.
Here are some tips that might prove useful regarding safety:
- Always have your cellular phone ready in case you need to call “911”.
- When possible, walk in groups of 2 or more.
- If you decide to physically resist assault, remember that your goal is to incapacitate the attacker long enough to run to safety and get help.
- Try to carry a self defense product such as pepper spray and personal alarms..
- Stay in well-lighted, busy areas. Avoid walking alone and avoid known trouble spots.
- When you carry a purse, hold it close to your body rather than by the handles. Do not wrap purse straps around your wrist, because you can get hurt in a struggle.
- Avoid using shortcuts through dark alleys, fields, or vacant lots.
- If you think you're being followed, cross the street and change directions a few times. Go quickly to a well-lighted place with lots of people.
- Keep your eyes peeled and be aware of your surroundings.
# # #