Region-News-Team-Black-Logo

Merrillville Tragedy Linked to Carbon Monoxide

Share this post

mvlhouse2
Media assembled outside a Merrillville home today where a family of four was found dead Wednesday evening
In a neighborhood on the southwest side of Merrillville, a family of four was found dead Wednesday evening, and authorities believe they all died from carbon monoxide poisoning.   The Lake County Coroners office says 41-year-old Micheal Nichols, 38-year-old Kennetha Purnell, 13-year-old Matthew Nichols and 11-year-old Morgan Nichols were pronounced dead shortly after 7-o'clock Wednesday night inside a home in the 800 block of West 70th Avenue. The cause of death for all four was pending as of late Wednesday night, according to the coroners office.
Merrillville Police responded to the home at about 5:30 Wednesday evening to conduct a welfare check and found four people dead. Through the investigation, officers say they determined that the family was moving into the home and did not have the power turned on.  A gas generator was located in the attached garage with power cords connected to various electronics in the home, police say.  Police also say all exterior doors and windows were closed.   The Lake County Coroners office said they did not anticipate having any other information regarding cause of death today.  [Photo/Karl Berner, Radio One Communications]
Banner


Meet-The-Team

Laura-WZVN Scott-WZVN Brent-WZVN
LAURA WALUSZKO
Region News Team
SCOTT ROSENBERG
Region News Team
BRENT BROWN
Region News Team
Jay-WZVN Karl-WZVN Annie-WZVN
JAY STEVENS
Region News Team
KARL BERNER
Region News Team
ANNIE FOX
Region News Team

Recent-Newscast

Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE