Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
Fire officials say a discarded cigarette sparked a two-and-a-half-to-three acre fire in a northern Indiana neighborhood midday Thursday. Goshen Fire Batallion Chief Scott McDowell told us today the fire damaged five lawns, and three homes in those yards also sustained some sort of structural damage, like, for instance, burned siding. McDowell is urging smokers to resist the urge to toss cigarette butts out of car windows. He also recommends using a non-combustible container with water for cigarette butts.... not just sand or dirt... as he says cigarettes stacked up on each other can catch fire.