Zoeller’s Top 5 Holiday Shopping Tips
Indiana consumers looking to snag door-buster deals or special online offers this holiday season may lose sight of protecting their personal and financial information.
That’s why Attorney General Greg Zoeller is offering his “Top 5 Holiday Shopping Tips” to consumers who want to come out ahead well after the sales have ended.
1. Closely watch your credit card during in-store transactions. Review credit-card accounts often and report unauthorized charges to your card issuer.
2. Research the online business you plan to purchase from and consider using an online payment service, such as PayPal, or your credit card, which offers certain protections in case your card is stolen.
3. Layaway plans can contain hidden fees or refund restrictions. Get a copy of the policy in writing before you start making payments and find out whether you will get a full refund, store credit or charged a non-refundable service fee if you change your mind about the item.
4. When ordering a product over-the-phone or through the mail, keep a copy of the company’s contact information, the order form and a cancelled check or charge account record.
5. Beware of emails or online offers soliciting hard-to-get items for unbelievably low prices. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t let the hype of a “great deal” overshadow your judgment and risk theft of your personal or financial information.
For more online security tips please click here http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2869.htm